Rose On A Thorn!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Soundtrack for our Movie


O ye faithful blog readers. Thank you for indulging in reading my daily rants. Moving on... today we did a (final?) production of Taming of The Shrew. I think we did a really good job considering how our english teacher (producer, director, supervisor, etc.) kind of let us wing it. Seriously, I hate how he acts as if he's teaching a college course 'cause, NEWSFLASH, he's not. I mean HE'S GONNA DRIVE US ALL CRAZY!!

NOW introducing a new column- ARTIST SPOTLIGHT-

Right now I would like to highlight a couple of under-the-radar and not-so-under-the-radar bands for your listening pleasure-

ARTIST: Black Heart Procession SONG TO HEAR: "Waiter #5"
This San Diego based band creates music seemingly delicate, as if it was woven from cobwebs, but eerie, dark, and echoing with slightly scratchy vocals, not to mention the fragile, redundant keyboard and phantom synth weaves. WHAT I THINK: When in a rainy day, dusty attic, Edgar Allen Poe-esque mood, play this band. Otherwise, I wouldn't bring down a perfectly nice day. Which brings us to

ARTIST: Belle and Sebastian SONG TO HEAR: Another Sunny Day
Of course, most of us music-freaks have heard of the B+S, circulating the Scotland's semi-underground since '96 and soon after bridging out across seas. But their new album SEEMINGLY tops the rest (with the exception of Dear Catastrophe Waitress) and it's called the Life Pursuit. The second song on the album, "Another Sunny Day" really sets the tone for the rest of the album, a folky sounding little pick-me-up. WHAT I THINK: I love the way the band maintains a more alternative (but not punk or metal) consistency throughout the album without sliding a back foot into the pop genre. I say, Belle and Sebastian anytime, all the time.

ARTIST: Jimmy McDonald SONG TO HEAR: Empty Hands
I saw this guy live and I have to tell you, this kid really has talent. Although he doesn't officially have an album yet, he's in the process of cutting one right now. But while you wait you can check out some mp3's on his site jimmymcdonald.net . If you like real song writers and are into Jason Mraz, Teddy Geiger (whom Jimmy has played with) and (especially) John Mayer you will fall head over heels for this modern prophet making music in Connecticut. Good stuff.

ARTIST: Sound Team SONG TO HEAR: The Fastest Man Alive
This might just possibly be the best indie band ever. I've been told that they've cleaned up their live act and made it sound as great as the notes come together on the album. The drumming is strong and the bass is perfect, and it doesn't hurt that Matt Oliver's voice has a rough but special distinction. Sound Team uses a wide range of instruments with everything from the guitar to bells to an electric organ and they know how to use them. WHAT I THINK: I once made a playlist called "Music To Fly To" which was made of songs that make you feel great and you can only listen to when you're alone. This song was the first to be put in it. FINAL VERDICT? It's basement rock at it's best.

Well, that about does it for my music analysis. Hope you get something out of it!!

More later,

Kit

P.s. The photo's of Jimmy McDonald playing a show

6 Comments:

  • At 4:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hes cute !!! heres that comment u wanted !!! how do u actually write everything on this sight ???? im too lazy to do something like that ... its kewl ... but do u rlly have this much time ??? i couldnt even read it without falling asleep ... no offense ...

     
  • At 2:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Whoever left the last comment is an idiot and Kit is smart and knows more about music than this "anonymous" person knows about anything else. It's no suprise that a person with such a low IQ as it sounds they have, fell asleep, they just couldn't retain so much big information. Kit roxx!

     
  • At 2:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Whoever left the last comment is an idiot and Cat is smart and knows more about music than this "anonymous" person knows about anything else. It's no suprise that a person with such a low IQ as it sounds they have, fell asleep, they just couldn't retain so much big information. Catt roxx!

     
  • At 2:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Whoever left the last comment is an idiot and Cat is smart and knows more about music than this "anonymous" person knows about anything else. It's no suprise that a person with such a low IQ as it sounds they have, fell asleep, they just couldn't retain so much big information. Catt roxx!

     
  • At 7:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Love how you put Jimmy Mcdonald up! He is just as good onstage as he is on my iPod :) and pretty talented regardless! Keep up the posts-- this is definitely a blog i will try to keep up with!


    ps: SCHOOOOOOLLL!!!!! ;)

     
  • At 2:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey, my name is Jimmy and I got an e-mail from someone that told me I got a review on this site. I just wanted to say thanks, and I think it's awesome that you're doing this. It means a lot that you're not only listening- but spreading the word. You rock.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home