Gay Messiah
It's official: I think I'm in love with a gay man. Is that weird? Not only do I want to eat up Rufus Wainwright, delicious folk-offspring favorite (and his fabulously dramatic and autobiographical latest, Release the Stars, which calls dusty velvet theatre curtains and smoky french cabarets to mind) but you just can't find individuals like him any more. The opera going former meth addict spoke to Lane Brown in an interview featured in this month's SPIN magazine about today's youth and what he truly fears:

"I want to be part of culture. I'm scared of what young people are being force-fed. I'm sick of trash culture...I'm really sick of Beyonce. All of her songs are formulaic and produced in a way that's utterly mesmerizing in the basest way. There's no enlightenment. Like most mainstream pop these days, it's more of a scientific experimentthan an artistic experience. But hey, it's your life, you know?"
Thank you, Rufus. I could not have said it better myself. And ladies and gentlemen, THIS is what we're all about! Pushing against the mainstream and trying to generate better cultured choices for the next generation to take over, to save us from becoming a nation united by bubble-gum chewing teeny boppers that don't know the difference between Carmen (the classic opera brought to us by Georges Bizetz) and Carmen Electra. Forget JT's bringing sexy back. Rufus is bringing culture back. Now that's hot.
More later,
Kit
P.S. You might recognize the name 'Wainwright' from my numerous posts featuring R's sister, Martha Wainwright, one of my favorite singer/songwriters. I dug up this quote of Rufus' describing the best (in my opinion) M Wainwright track, "Bloody Mother F*cking A**hole" (you can hear the song in the playlist on the home page):
"It's [B.M.F.A] a song she released as a single which was very, very, very brave of her. Martha is one of the great singers of our age, and also have her own proper career, which thank God happened, otherwise we would be killing each other."

"I want to be part of culture. I'm scared of what young people are being force-fed. I'm sick of trash culture...I'm really sick of Beyonce. All of her songs are formulaic and produced in a way that's utterly mesmerizing in the basest way. There's no enlightenment. Like most mainstream pop these days, it's more of a scientific experimentthan an artistic experience. But hey, it's your life, you know?"
Thank you, Rufus. I could not have said it better myself. And ladies and gentlemen, THIS is what we're all about! Pushing against the mainstream and trying to generate better cultured choices for the next generation to take over, to save us from becoming a nation united by bubble-gum chewing teeny boppers that don't know the difference between Carmen (the classic opera brought to us by Georges Bizetz) and Carmen Electra. Forget JT's bringing sexy back. Rufus is bringing culture back. Now that's hot.
More later,
Kit
P.S. You might recognize the name 'Wainwright' from my numerous posts featuring R's sister, Martha Wainwright, one of my favorite singer/songwriters. I dug up this quote of Rufus' describing the best (in my opinion) M Wainwright track, "Bloody Mother F*cking A**hole" (you can hear the song in the playlist on the home page):
"It's [B.M.F.A] a song she released as a single which was very, very, very brave of her. Martha is one of the great singers of our age, and also have her own proper career, which thank God happened, otherwise we would be killing each other."

1 Comments:
At 7:12 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Well said.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home