Rose On A Thorn!

Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Girl from Inpanema


It was supposed to rain/thunderstorm (if that IS a verb) all weekend, but it's very very nice out all the time. I've been extremely busy this Memorial Day weekend. So far I've been out with a different group of friends every single day. Hm. Okay, I'll post a review now, and if you're lucky, maybe one later. If you're lucky.

ARTIST: Natalia LaFourcade SONG: En El 2000

Are you done with thinking that the only Latin singers out there sing disco/pop? Are you sick of Shakira, Ricky, and Enrique? Although you may not know what she's talking about, Natalia Lafourcade (proclaimed "Mexico's response to Nelly Furtado" (pre-rap makeover. ugh) has an infectious sound and catchy vocals...even in Spanish. But what Natalia really proclaims is that while people are changing and becoming false and fake, "ya no soy" (no longer am i) and by the way she sings it you can't help but believe she isn't like the other rising divas out there. Natalia Lafourcade is seems to be the real deal and when it comes to Latin alternative, es su especialidad (it's her specialty!).

As Natalia says, "a ver, a ver, que pasa en el siguiente día."
(Or "to see, to see, that it happens in the following day."),

Kit

P.S.

Okay, I'll try make this brief, but I really haven't had a chance to outline one of my new all time favorite books: Geography of A Girlhood by Kirsten Smith. The book is full of passion, feeling, and passages I sware were stolen from my own diary. The book is just as the title says, a geography of a girl rapidly growing through her teen years into adulthood. The book is written in verse (which I love) and covers almost every issue plauging teen girls that I have wondered about. When you read reviews written by thirty to forty year old women for YA books, you know that the girls won't always have the same reaction as critics. Here's a difference between us: I'm writing this review out of pure love of the book and they are getting paid to. Every poem increases my cheers for the main character, Penny. I cry with Penny, I laugh with Penny, I am Penny. The raw description and bitingly real details draw me into her story, until fatc and fiction are difficult to seperate, in a good way. So take it from a teen for a teen, Geography is one of the best books to read or give your daughter. Kirsten Smith is a seriously talented writer and knows what she's talking about!

3 Comments:

  • At 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    totally! geography of a girlhood was such a great book!

     
  • At 6:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    completely. did you know that it was by the same writer who wrote legally blonde and she's the man???? my fave movies!!11!!!!

     
  • At 6:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    no way. great movies. i better pick up the book

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home