Rose On A Thorn!

Friday, August 25, 2006

Give Me the Novacaine






What??? Conviction was cancelled??? Did anyone else follow the Law and Order spin off produced by NBC? Completely fabulous. Unfortunatley the whole thing has been cancelled with so many issues to resolve, my head is spinning. What next? Cancelling Law and Order? 24? WHAT WILL THOSE MESSED UP EXECUTIVES DO NEXT??!?! Though the season finale was quite dramatic and a bit graphic, I still love that show.

I'm sorry, I'm just ticked off and hopped up on brownies as I just had my second (and hopefully final) wisdom tooth out. One word: kills.

On a lighter hand, want classics turned modern (and I'm not just talking about the last Project Runway challenge)? I've got a whole new rockin' playlist of covers for your viewing pleasure, but first a classic way ahead of it's time. The song "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" by the Beatles (which was recorded in 1967) has a more upbeat and quicker rhythm than the Beatle's usual style. With a drum beat and electric guitar that brilliantly intertwine, it almost seems to have a pre-punk influence. Almost.

COVERS UNCOVERED

Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana- covered by Tori Amos (a hauntingly delicate piece of piano and vibrating vocals. An interestingly different cover.)

Just Like Heaven by The Cure- covered by Taking Back Sunday ( This acoustic cover combined with Adam Lazzara's stunning vocals opened my eyes to both TBS and The Cure.)

Day Tripper by The Beatles- covered by Oasis with Paul Weller (Hello? Oasis? Enough said.)

I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash- covered by Megan Wyler (Yes, this is the cover in the Levi's commercial. But what can I say? I did love Joaquin in Walk the Line. And Levi's straight leg jeans.)

With or Without You by U2- covered by Keane (U2 being one of Keane's biggest influences, this doesn't quite shock me.)

Thriller by Michael Jackson- covered by Ben Gibbard (shocked? Me too. MJ's biggest pop hit turned into acoustic indie glory, with the only thing borrowed being the lyrics, it's set to a totally new tune. fantastic)

Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft- covered by Jason Mraz (possibly the best 60's-70's cover reinvented, ever? Love the new spin on it, it preserves the Seals and Croft style but completely embodies Jason Mraz and everything he's done.)

Hope you enjoyed the little fix of cover madness.

More later,

Kit

LISTENING TO: Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 (accept no imitations. s.b.s. is always best done by U2. ALWAYS!!)

P.S. To the above you have Mr. Seal and Mr. Croft and below them you have Mr. Mraz

2 Comments:

  • At 2:23 AM , Blogger Frapp said...

    U2, Keane, Taking Back Sunday, Nirvana? You've been stealing my music haven't you? hehe, though please, please, PLEASE tell me the Law and Order spin-off your talking about WASN'T the one with Scott Cohen in? I LOVE THAT GUY!!! He's hot! I sure hope their not the same one because if so i'm going to scream, I was so looking forward to seeing him in that when it came over to the UK!!!

     
  • At 11:53 AM , Blogger Frapp said...

    Hahaha! No you mistook me, I'm talking about SCOTT Cohen, the actor, not SETH Cohen, the OC character played by Adam Brody. Scott Cohen's not that well known, though he's been in a Law and Order spin-off and The 10th Kingdom, a mini-sries that was on Sky One and NBC.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home