What Is Life
Look, I don't know what's up with the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens (now and forever more to be called "Yusuf") but you can still detect a bit of the old "Wild World" and "Moon Shadow" filtering in between the tracks of his knew album, "An Other Cup" (like "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and "Heaven/ Where True Love Goes") but seriously freaking me out are songs like "Whispers From a Spiritual Garden" and "Greenfields, Golden Sands". Please, Cat or Yusuf or whatever, we know you've converted to Islam, just please don't try to convert us.
I have mixed feelings about the new Hellogodbye EP (a collection of songs from Z!A!V!D! but remixed and electronisized) but over all I feel kind of dissapointed. What happened to the powerpop of "Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn" that made America want to close the blinds, shut the doors, and sing their hearts out with a wooden brush as a microphone?! Hellogoodbye might have strayed a little too far from their original sugar-sweet pop-rock synth-soaked California-beach-originated sound. I still have faith in them, though, to pull out with a junior record closer to home.

Above, the Shins
I really love, though, the new Shins single. Ever since Natalie Portman uttered the words "The Shins will change your life" in Garden State, a huge burst of appreciation surfaced for the Albuquerque native band and their new "Phantom Limb" embodies that moody sound that they rode on on their magic tour bus to fame. I feel like "Split Needles" is kind of moving in a different direction, still with the Shins signature but kind of exploring different genres. It sounds almost like the Bravery, which is a big change. I still can't wait for "Wincing the Night Away" , which should be out sometime this year.
More under the radar album releases include Mewithoutyou's heavy metal "Brother, Sister" which was released by Tooth and Nail Records (listen to "Messes of Men"), Starfyler 59 (a somewhat haunting progressive rock project by Brit Jason Martin)'s "My Island", and Joanna Newsom (keyboardist for The Pleased)'s newest folk/Druidic/acoustic ep, "Ys" which is overflowing with anthems reaching up and beyond the ten mintue point. Also includes empty spaces, pictur-esque settings, and a time machine ride to another time and place. It takes a very aqquired taste, I might also add...
Another under the radar band to check out is The Carnies, a band from New York City that are scarily reminiscent of the Pixies and kind of like Souxsie and the Banshees. The two band leaders, Kelly Powers and Melissa Cupernall, belt out strong vocals and spin webs of almost operatic, nightmarish and rock solid style with contrasting delicate piano and thick drums beats on songs like, "Spells to Bed" and "Invention". This quartet is by no means a group of indie heavyweights but are definetly working their way around the art rock scene, having played venues like CBGB and the Knitting Factory. Their latest album, Hardcore Nursery Rhyme Renditions (under no label as their former label and the band did not see eye to eye), is out now and available at selected music stores across the country and they are at work on their third album now. Check out their website now at myspace.com/thecarnies.
And now for another ten minute anthem of sorts, introducing the trrrrrrendspotting Demetri Martin:
Seriously, leather sleeves have never been funnier.
More later,
Kit
P.S. I'm gearing up to post my holiday playlist. Too early before Thanksgiving or no? What do you think?
I have mixed feelings about the new Hellogodbye EP (a collection of songs from Z!A!V!D! but remixed and electronisized) but over all I feel kind of dissapointed. What happened to the powerpop of "Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn" that made America want to close the blinds, shut the doors, and sing their hearts out with a wooden brush as a microphone?! Hellogoodbye might have strayed a little too far from their original sugar-sweet pop-rock synth-soaked California-beach-originated sound. I still have faith in them, though, to pull out with a junior record closer to home.

Above, the Shins
I really love, though, the new Shins single. Ever since Natalie Portman uttered the words "The Shins will change your life" in Garden State, a huge burst of appreciation surfaced for the Albuquerque native band and their new "Phantom Limb" embodies that moody sound that they rode on on their magic tour bus to fame. I feel like "Split Needles" is kind of moving in a different direction, still with the Shins signature but kind of exploring different genres. It sounds almost like the Bravery, which is a big change. I still can't wait for "Wincing the Night Away" , which should be out sometime this year.
More under the radar album releases include Mewithoutyou's heavy metal "Brother, Sister" which was released by Tooth and Nail Records (listen to "Messes of Men"), Starfyler 59 (a somewhat haunting progressive rock project by Brit Jason Martin)'s "My Island", and Joanna Newsom (keyboardist for The Pleased)'s newest folk/Druidic/acoustic ep, "Ys" which is overflowing with anthems reaching up and beyond the ten mintue point. Also includes empty spaces, pictur-esque settings, and a time machine ride to another time and place. It takes a very aqquired taste, I might also add...
Another under the radar band to check out is The Carnies, a band from New York City that are scarily reminiscent of the Pixies and kind of like Souxsie and the Banshees. The two band leaders, Kelly Powers and Melissa Cupernall, belt out strong vocals and spin webs of almost operatic, nightmarish and rock solid style with contrasting delicate piano and thick drums beats on songs like, "Spells to Bed" and "Invention". This quartet is by no means a group of indie heavyweights but are definetly working their way around the art rock scene, having played venues like CBGB and the Knitting Factory. Their latest album, Hardcore Nursery Rhyme Renditions (under no label as their former label and the band did not see eye to eye), is out now and available at selected music stores across the country and they are at work on their third album now. Check out their website now at myspace.com/thecarnies.
And now for another ten minute anthem of sorts, introducing the trrrrrrendspotting Demetri Martin:
Seriously, leather sleeves have never been funnier.
More later,
Kit
P.S. I'm gearing up to post my holiday playlist. Too early before Thanksgiving or no? What do you think?

6 Comments:
At 9:29 AM ,
molly said...
:O :O :O
It's SO weird that you posted that video because I saw it on TV a couple years ago and I thought it was the funniest thing ever.
The name Demetri Martin stuck with me and then I saw him on the Daily Show and I got superexcited!!
At 10:23 AM ,
molly said...
You work in a library too??? NO WAY it is spooky how similar we are!
Do you do the whole shelving book thing?
At 10:33 AM ,
molly said...
the demetri martin thing is genius!!!
can you send me the link pleeeeease?
At 1:05 PM ,
molly said...
youre getting it????? AWESOME!! youll dig it...so rad
i KNOWWWW i hate the shelving. and im jealous you get to check out books! my librarians would never allow it. they told me i wasnt allowed to touch the reference section until i had worked there a long time and they 'trusted' me. i was like "umm, okay, less work for me, i guess"
thank you so much for the link!
do you have myspace by the way?
At 11:47 AM ,
maya said...
ya! i love the shins too, and ok go.
At 1:34 PM ,
Anonymous said...
that demetri martin guy is fanfrickintastic. i wanna put stickers on turtles...but i don't know whyyyyy.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home