I Love You, Blowtorch Eyes
In the words of Stephen Colbert: Mulch! I am so slow with this ( I actually saw the clip when the show was live but didn't have time to post it) so forgive me and dare to enter: STEPHEN COLBERT'S SECOND GREEN SCREEN CHALLENGE! Let's watch:
Ouch. Double burn for the Decemberists. I love the Decemberist's new "The Crane Wife" as I have mentioned before so I am kind of caught in a bit of a pickle. Colbert....Decemberists.......Hmmmmmm......
I love the idea that the O.C. producers had of grabbing a bunch of indie bands to cover some of the indie songs made famous by the show. This includes "California" done by Mates of State, "I Turn My Camera On" covered by Rock Kills Kid (which sounds eerily similar to Brit Daniel's orignial vision), and "Float On" done by Goldspot, not to be confused with Goldfrapp of "Ooh La La" fame (who's "Strict Machine" sounds just electro stomp-y enough to work).
drumroll please...
PLAYLIST OF THE MOMENT:
YOUR SISTER'S KEEPER: a mix inspired by the current obsessions of my sister
Ice Ice Baby- covered by Ben Kweller (ahhh. such a breath of fresh acoustic air from the horrific Vanilla Ice track from which the lyrics are spawned. I love Ben Kweller)
The Future Freaks Me Out- Motion City Soundtrack (I was drawn in after I heard "Hold Me Down" but the pure power of "The Future Freaks Me Out" sealed the deal for me.)
Superman- Lazlo Bane (Perfect for Scrubs, pretty much perfect for any other situation)
Barely Breathing- Duncan Sheik (Sheik's highly publicised participation in the new musical "Spring Awakening" brought my eyes back to this fantasticly moody '96 single. By the way, if anyone can find an mp3 of "The Bitch Of Living" (also by Duncan Sheik) I will forever be indebted.)
Phantom Limb- The Shins (When I hear the begining of this song, I just smile.)
White Daisy Passing-Rocky Votolato (His insightful bittersweet lyrics only add dimension to the clean, stripped folk of the former Waxwing frontman)
Feel Flows- The Beach Boys (A seemingly large departure from the regular Beach Boy summer-sunny sound. Also on the Almost Famous soundtrack.)
Blankest Year- Nada Surf (It's one of those songs that takes the breath of of you for similarity to your own life.)
Naked As We Came- Iron and Wine ( Samuel Beam is known for his cover of "Such Great Heights" but this indie folk jem is all his own.)
Wow. After that one you kind of have to breath more slowly. A song to pick you up from that stage is "Que Onda Guero", a flashback from Beck's Guero of '05. I love the smooth transition between Spanish and Enlgish that Beck acquired from his East L.A. childhood. You can hear street sounds in the backround and you know I've always been a fan of Beck's so influenced undefinable style, most often known as a folk-rapper. (See image below-)
Hello sailor!
Anyway, gotta jam. If this is the last of me before the holidays, play Death Cab's "The New Year" for me and I'll see ya next year!
--Kit
P.S. Also listen to "Plans Get Complex" by All-TIme Quarterback!. If you want to hear adolesence in a bottle, listen to the B-man.
Ouch. Double burn for the Decemberists. I love the Decemberist's new "The Crane Wife" as I have mentioned before so I am kind of caught in a bit of a pickle. Colbert....Decemberists.......Hmmmmmm......
I love the idea that the O.C. producers had of grabbing a bunch of indie bands to cover some of the indie songs made famous by the show. This includes "California" done by Mates of State, "I Turn My Camera On" covered by Rock Kills Kid (which sounds eerily similar to Brit Daniel's orignial vision), and "Float On" done by Goldspot, not to be confused with Goldfrapp of "Ooh La La" fame (who's "Strict Machine" sounds just electro stomp-y enough to work).
drumroll please...
PLAYLIST OF THE MOMENT:
YOUR SISTER'S KEEPER: a mix inspired by the current obsessions of my sister
Ice Ice Baby- covered by Ben Kweller (ahhh. such a breath of fresh acoustic air from the horrific Vanilla Ice track from which the lyrics are spawned. I love Ben Kweller)
The Future Freaks Me Out- Motion City Soundtrack (I was drawn in after I heard "Hold Me Down" but the pure power of "The Future Freaks Me Out" sealed the deal for me.)
Superman- Lazlo Bane (Perfect for Scrubs, pretty much perfect for any other situation)
Barely Breathing- Duncan Sheik (Sheik's highly publicised participation in the new musical "Spring Awakening" brought my eyes back to this fantasticly moody '96 single. By the way, if anyone can find an mp3 of "The Bitch Of Living" (also by Duncan Sheik) I will forever be indebted.)
Phantom Limb- The Shins (When I hear the begining of this song, I just smile.)
White Daisy Passing-Rocky Votolato (His insightful bittersweet lyrics only add dimension to the clean, stripped folk of the former Waxwing frontman)
Feel Flows- The Beach Boys (A seemingly large departure from the regular Beach Boy summer-sunny sound. Also on the Almost Famous soundtrack.)
Blankest Year- Nada Surf (It's one of those songs that takes the breath of of you for similarity to your own life.)
Naked As We Came- Iron and Wine ( Samuel Beam is known for his cover of "Such Great Heights" but this indie folk jem is all his own.)
Wow. After that one you kind of have to breath more slowly. A song to pick you up from that stage is "Que Onda Guero", a flashback from Beck's Guero of '05. I love the smooth transition between Spanish and Enlgish that Beck acquired from his East L.A. childhood. You can hear street sounds in the backround and you know I've always been a fan of Beck's so influenced undefinable style, most often known as a folk-rapper. (See image below-)
Hello sailor!Anyway, gotta jam. If this is the last of me before the holidays, play Death Cab's "The New Year" for me and I'll see ya next year!
--Kit
P.S. Also listen to "Plans Get Complex" by All-TIme Quarterback!. If you want to hear adolesence in a bottle, listen to the B-man.

4 Comments:
At 11:50 AM ,
molly said...
COLBERT POWER....ACTIVATE!
thanks so much for posting (i havent watched yet but i will in a minute)
At 7:45 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Hey..I hear an uncle of yours sings Ice Ice Baby (the original version, because he's old) a cappella. Where's the love?
At 7:48 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Hey..I hear an uncle of yours sings Ice Ice Baby (the original version, because he's old) a cappella. Where's the love?
At 3:09 PM ,
Julz said...
GUESS WHAT! I saw that one before you posted it! wooooohoooo i'm not a loser!
julz
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home