Rose On A Thorn!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Can You Tell

I never have New Years Resolutions. I hate feeling like I MUST pledge to do X amount this or Y amount of that. I mean, come on, it's not algebra. How frustrating!

More frustration and general angst: Mainstream music and I have never gotten along: at first it was a quiet dislike and, over time, it evolved into a full fledged rage on the part of mainstream (probably jealous of my love-affair with indie). But at any rate, I am just sick and tired of Top 40 and all of that. If a great song happens to stumble mistakenly into the pop charts (let's take for example MCR's "Welcome To The Black Parade") and flies straight to the top because people realize how great it is (though without noticing clear Freddy Mercury influences and the gigantic hurtle that MCR succesfully lept over by creating oddly nectareous emo, might I add), one might be inclined to feel a tad nefarious and errrrr...selfish with that song, wanting to steal it away from all of the pop-wrapped punker kids. Oooh when I heard "Marching Bands Of Manhattan" playing in the fricking GAP, it was enough for me to want to pull a Judas Preist-esque dressing (or, you know, hotel) room trashing. "MBOM", a song that sort of brings me to this post's playlist:

OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL VIEW: a musical guide to seeing in all directions at the same time

It's The End of the World as We Known It (And I Feel Fine)- R.E.M. (the original nerd rock trio played a part in changing the way alternamerica saw the sign of the apocolypse. and I feel fine.)

Asleep- The Smiths (Morrisey's forlorn poetry infused lyrics speak of depression and shreds hope of a better place clearer than a million voices)

The Sounds Of Silence- Simon and Garfunkel (A ghostly, delicate tune increasing in intensity and urgency up until the final phrase: the sound of silence)

Knock Yourself Out- Jon Brion (A great tie-in to the I Heart Huckabees soundtrack, famously quirky former Bats member Brion highlights the main themes of the movie with this light hearted harmonica and instrumental piece)

Chicago (Multiple Personality Disorder Version)- Sufjan Stevens (an interesting take on Stevens' original track off of "Illinoise". Though the banjo and chorusing and orchestral harmony is what made the original so arresting, the speed, distortion, and processing of this track sets it so apart, it's worth listening to.)

Heavy Metal- Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (The usual unusual blend of instruments thrown into the track makes the lyrics buzz- "the actors seemed so happy- but somehow ended up all washed up"- with the way it peers into the shards of the writer's heart)

Chariot- Page France (The twinkling song is entirely a metaphorical fantasy behind someone's eyes- "So we will become a happy ending")


Well isn't that just super? To give you a sample of playlist, here is Jon Brion with "Knock Yourself Out", the video featuring the oddities of Mark Wahlberg and Jason Schwartzman. In bear suits. And braided wigs. Enjoy.



In the upcoming weeks, look out for an interview with Boise, Idaho project The Very Most off of Coming In Second Records.

The sun shines again,

Kit

1 Comments:

  • At 1:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey, link me back? www.frapp-inducedfashion.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home